[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Fri Apr 20 13:00:55 EDT 2007

> Everyone who uses the Internet is an "individual Internet user."  Why
> should we try to give the term more content than that?
>
> --Wendy

For one thing, this raises an intractable representation problem. But more
importantly, we all know in our hearts what we mean by 'individual
Internet user'; it is the counterpoint to powerful and organized bodies.
And we do not want these to completely dominate the Internet for at least
two reasons:
1. Internet's vitality and growth owes a lot to innovative individuals and
 grass-roots initiatives.
2. Internet offers a potential counter-weight to traditional world
divisions and communication barriers between peoples, not generally
encouraged by organized institutions of power.
It is for the latter reason that I personally find 'regional' divisions of
ICANN distasteful specially in the at-large arena. Regional organizations
may just turn out to be convenient new tools for perpetuating traditional
political divisions.

Siavash

> Michael Gurstein wrote:
>> Hi Jacob,
>>
>> I don't mean to be a pest about this but has there been any "official"
>> interpretation on what precisely is meant by the term "individual
>> Internet user" as below...
>>
>> There was no response to my two cases from yesterday -- one, that of
>> (more or less anonymous) cybercafe frequenting I-users and the other,
>> folks clustered in various groupings "using" the Internet via
>> telecentres (or community networks as per Michael Maranda's
>> interventions).
>>
>> On the principle that silence is consent, if my argument is valid then
>> could I suggest that the notion of "individual internet user" in fact is
>> more or less without content as it could either mean anyone, since
>> anyone could be an anonymous cybercafe or cell phone Internet surfer (or
>> no one in particular--who would know or could make any judgements in
>> this regard);  or it should necessarily include some sorts of collective
>> groupings i.e. families, communities etc. (individuals as collectives
>> hmmm...-and then who speaks for them and how are the "interests" of
>> these collectives to be represented, as collectives or as collections of
>> individuals etc.etc.).
>>
>> In a global environment where on the one hand Internet "use" is becoming
>> more or less pervasive and on the other where the notion of who or what
>> constitutes "the individual" is highly culturally (and even politically)
>> determined, could I humbly suggest that some other mode of delineating
>> participation in this aspect of Internet governance be formulated.
>>
>> MG

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-5564, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80; 22 82 80 81, ext 113
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah at irnic.ir, shahshah at nic.ir
     governance at lists.cpsr.org