[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Apr 20 12:46:35 EDT 2007

Dan Krimm wrote:
> At 7:11 PM -0700 4/19/07, Michael Gurstein wrote:
>> Okay, so you are suggesting, in "policy making processes surrounding the
>> Internet" we have universal suffrage including in this instance
>> basically anyone/everyone--every age, status...

It is sensible to adopt the normal constraints that require a person to
be of adequate age and mental competency.

And by "universal suffrage" I would hope that we are not assuming that
that necessarily means a direct democratic vote on every issue -
representative forms in which elections for representatives occur every
couple of years, and in which the representatives are plenary
decisionmakers and not simply members that elect other members to a long
succession of Russian-doll like bodies.

> No, natural persons only (perhaps "legal persons" as well, but not
> machines).

Let's not remake the major mistake of giving civil rights to legal
fictions such as corporations.  The people who own/control such fictions
have voices and through those voices the fictions will have more than
adequate means to make their desires known.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org