SV: AW: AW: [governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed Apr 18 22:19:13 EDT 2007

David Goldstein wrote:
>> In fact WGIG anticipated that as well as making recommendations to other
>> organisations, the IGF “may also invite — or recommend that the United
>> Nations invites — member states to discuss a certain issue in an
>> official capacity, or via a vote in the United Nations General
>> Assembly.”  Likewise, there is no reason why a workshop or Dynamic
>> Coalition of the IGF could not write a first draft of the Framework
>> Convention and submit it to the plenary body for consideration, in other
>> fora no doubt, by states.
>
> I'd consider this a failure or fault of IGF. Relying on states to be able to best represent people with disabilities would be very hit and miss. Bodies advocating the rights of people with disabilities, either international or national, would be far better, even if the state were to consult with a relevant NGO.

Well I agree, but we have to take baby steps here.  Ideally, and perhaps
eventually, the output of the IGF could take the force of an independent
body of transnational law, something like the lex mercatoria, that would
exist parallel to (and yet not be trumped by) the existing international
system.  But how we get there from here is to first develop
recommendations in a multi-stakeholder process that nobody can
reasonably dissent from, and for those to gain normative force through
adoption into the international system's existing governance
institutions.  Eventually that last step could become redundant, and for
the IGF to make a recommendation could then be enough.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org