[governance] possible DC workshop in Rio

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Apr 18 17:35:41 EDT 2007

Dear people,

Rits (Information Network for the Third Sector, a Brazilian NGO based in
Rio and affiliated with the APC) is evaluating possibilities regarding a
pre-IGF civil society meeting in November. Given the meeting already
programmed immediately before IGF, we would have a slot on November 11.
The current schedule of meetings near IGF in Rio is:

November 02 - 09 -- APC Council Meeting
November 10 -- Low-cost Connectivity Workshop (led by APC)
November 11 -- GIGANet
November 12 - 15 -- IGF

We have talked to Markus (IGF) and Wolfgang (GIGANet), as well as local
organizers. We could have the meeting in the IGF venue itself if
available, and the proposal for the civil society meeting is basically
as follows:

Date and time: November 11, from 14:00 to 20:00 (GIGAnet starts early
morning and will join us around 15:00).

Objective: presentation of proposals by each of the dynamic coalitions,
so that civil society participants know about each coalition's views of
the issues and proposals regarding the IGF debates. This is an attempt
to share views to enhance quality of civil society participation in the
debates.

Format: We have listed eight coalitions, and we have six hours. The
proposal is that each coalition presents its proposals in 15 minutes and
15-20 minutes are left for discussions and clarifications. The current
coalitions listed are:

The StopSpamAlliance
Dynamic Coalition on Privacy
IGF Dynamic Coalition on Open Standards (IGF DOCS)
IGF Dynamic Coalition on the Internet Bill of Rights
A2K at IGF Dynamic Coalition
Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media on the Internet (FOEonline)
The Online Collaboration Dynamic Coalition
IGF Dynamic Coalition on Access and Connectivity for Remote, Rural and
Dispersed Communities

The format would allow for including one or two additional coalitions.

The questions are:

1. Is this agreeable to organized civil society which has been
participating in the IG debates?

2. Are the objective and format acceptable?

3. Any additional suggestions?

On the basis of your urgent input we will try and pursue the issue
further with the local organizers.

As I do not subscribe to all coalitions' mailing lists, I request the
ones who receive this and have not seen it show up in their coalition's
mailing list in the next 1-2 days, to please forward this message to the
corresponding list.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
http://www.rits.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org