[governance] Framework convention

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Apr 18 17:40:10 EDT 2007

Keep in mind what has been achieved with the
UN Economic Commission for Europe's Aarhus
Convention on Access to Information, Public
Participation in Decision-making and Access to
Justice in Environmental Matters.

It secure rights to participation and access
information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_Convention

I.o.w. the modalities for participation of non-
state actors in the 'implementation' of a
framework convention (or any other multi-
lateral agreement) could theoretically be
determined by a linked convention established
specifically for that purpose.  And, it can
address some of the concerns that has been
raised.

Anriette

> Bill,
>
> I'll retain a copy of your notes and try to answer some of your
> comments in the paper.  I know that for inexplicable reasons we are
> on different sides regarding the Framework Convention idea (we
> clearly did not agree in Athens) and I will try to convince you with
> the power of argumentation and, even, facts in the paper.
>
> Just to clarify one small point:  a Convention is a treaty (it is a
> multilateral treaty as defined in the Vienna Convention -- see -- on
> the Law of Treaties).  The other things you mention (declarations,
> resolutions, recommendations, guidelines, informal agreements) are
> probably morally binding on those that agree to them, but as might be
> said -- paraphrasing an old lawyer's maxim: "a moral agreement is
> worth the convention it is written in."
>
> We'll have fun continuing our discussion of this.
>
> Best,
>
> John
> On Apr 18, 2007, at 14:56, William Drake wrote:
>
> > Hi Lee,
> >
> > There are about twenty different conversations now running under the
> > heading, "Re: AW: [governance] .xxx. igc and igf."  If we could
> > please separate this thread from the interpersonal pissing matches
> > etc.  that'd be helpful, I've accidentally deleted some bits and had
> > to go find  them in the list archive.
> >
> > On 4/18/07 5:26 PM, "Lee McKnight" <LMcKnigh at syr.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Bill, Wolfgang,
> >>
> >> As John notes it's hard at end of semester to keep up with this
> >> list, sorry for fading in and out of the dialog.
> >
> > You're not alone
> >
> >> I also did a short paper  adapting from John's on my views on the
> >> framework convention also a couple years back for an OII meeting,
> >> but I admit that was also very sketchy.  I'll dig that out though
> >> and  John and I can argue some on what we IGPers mean and get
> >> something put  together by the time John suggests, for the rest of
> >> you to throw stones at.
> >
> > Sounds good.  But I have an antecedent question.  Why are we
> > talking about a
> > Convention per se?  Why fix on this particular institutional form,
> > rather than say a standard treaty, a Declaration, a Resolution, a
> > Recommendation, Guidelines, an MOU, a multistakeholder informal
> > agreement, or  something else?  I can't help wondering if the basic
> > rationale isn't,  'because the UN has done conventions in other,
> > unrelated fields, let's have one  here too,' which to me wouldn't be
> > a compelling answer.   Normally one would  think form should follow
> > function, but it seems like you guys are saying first we should
> > agree there needs to be a Convention and then secondly we'll  figure
> > out what it's for, which seems odd.
> >
> >> For now let's just say the rules objectives etc for an Internet
> >> framework convention are yet to be defined, and an Internet
> >> Framework
> >
> > Right.  I really don't mean this in a nasty way, but please tell me
> [...]

Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
PO Box 29755, Melville, South Africa. 2109
Tel. 27 11 726 1692
Fax 27 11 726 1692

     governance at lists.cpsr.org