[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 23:36:43 EDT 2007

Bill and Alejandro,

First, I was bit confused when I read Bill's message below; it
sounds as if an FC (or let call it an "international agrement"
of some sort though "international" sounds more modern than
postmoder ;)) was intended to take care of all things IG. To my
understanding, this is intended to define and give a legal basis
to the norms and rules, the mechanisms and processes, in sum,
the legitimate authority to deal with relevant public policy
issues pertaining to the others numerous issues of IG. And so
far, there is no assumption on the nature or form of such
authority, except that most of us seems to agree that it
shouldn't be another intergovernmental kind of org. That could
as well be a concentrated, scalable, multi-level structure where
governments may get to make final decisions (again, only on
public policy) but not without accepting external inputs
(technical community, academia, CS, etc.)

Now about the other technical, management, practical functions
of IG, I do think Alejandro is right to advocate the
domain-specific approach of governance. The thing is without the
rules and processes that will frame possible interventions from
government authorities, that work performed by honest people
(with all the users relying on them) can be hijacked at anytime
under any pretence by those governments with coercive resources.
The purpose of an international agreement, as I see it, is to
avoid just that, by clarifying (and delineating) the function of
the govts in IG, and by defining the rules of their possible
intervention.

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org