AW: AW: [governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Lucy Lynch llynch at civil-tongue.net
Tue Apr 17 11:17:41 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Dan Krimm wrote:

<snip>

> I return to the point that ICANN was not originally created as a political
> body, and its institutional structure was not originally designed to be
> tasked to resolve political issues.  I still have much to learn about the
> (apparently arcane) history of how the advisory penumbra surrounding ICANN
> came into being, but my a priori guess would be that that process was
> somewhat "ad hoc" itself.  Not exactly the result of a coherent
> constitutional convention, or anything -- not even an "informal"
> deliberative forum systematically tasked to explore the possibilities such
> as IGF.

no need to guess:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980526082418/http://www.iahc.org/
http://web.archive.org/web/19980415064417/www.gtld-mou.org/
and
http://www.gtld-mou.org/draft-iahc-recommend-00.html

Note that there were already a number of "Internet bodies" involved.

see also:
http://www.livinginternet.com/i/iw_mgmt.htm
http://www.livinginternet.com/i/im_org.htm

and, just for fun, go here:

http://www.touchgraph.com/TGGoogleBrowser.html

and type in your favorite I* (IETF/IAB/ISOC/IANA/IGF/ICANN/etc)
and see what you get.

- Lucy
     governance at lists.cpsr.org