[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Apr 17 04:58:31 EDT 2007

Milton Mueller wrote:
>> Personally, I think this is a chimera and a distraction.
>
> That is my attitude toward the IGF, increasingly. Can you tell me why
> holding a conference and chatting with ourselves is such a brilliant
> solution, and what problem it is a solution to?
>
>> Where I think he and I might disagree is that I'd
>> favor having some means of holistic monitoring/analysis that'd draw
>> attention to the connections and possible conflicts between these so
>> adjustments could be made etc.
>
> But that's what the Forum was supposed to do. And if the political will
> is not there to do something real about these governance issues, then
> the Forum can't work any more than a FC. So you are led back to the
> proposition that we must advocate some form of governance
> institution-building that is REAL, not a co-optation mechanism or a way
> of sidelining and neutralizing actual debate over substance.
>
>> That was part of the original thinking
>> behind the forum concept, at least for some of us, but if the forum
> can't
>> play this role something else is needed.
>
> In other words, you admit that the oh so sophisticated "post modern"
> approach has failed, but we should try it again?

Let's not forget that the IGF has had only one meeting out of a minimum
of five, and that although everyone agrees it is not yet in a position
to fulfil its mandate, there has at least been clear acknowledgement
from the top that "these are things which will evolve".  Now, I could
hardly be called an apologist for the IGF's failings, and I am in
complete agreement with Milton that a simple Internet conference is not
what is required, but surely our energies are better expended in
reforming the IGF than in resigning ourselves to its failure and
starting from scratch.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org