[governance] RE: who does "public policy" then?

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Apr 17 03:41:30 EDT 2007

>>> nb at bollow.ch 4/14/2007 12:32 PM >>>
>I don't think that it's proper to redicule any kind of
decision-making
>process before a better alternative has been demonstrated (i.e. an

Norbert:
Many better alternatives have been proposed for new TLD addition
processes over the past 5 years. McKnight and I proposed a simple
auction for commercial TLDs and lottery for noncommercial. Other
academics have made similar proposals. The National Academy of Sciences
report had several alternatives outlined. All would require substantally
LESS resources than an arbiutrary GAC veto and the endless, reversible,
totally politicized review processes currently being proposed by ICANN.

Even within the ICANN process, we have proposed specific modifications
to the proposal that would get ICANN and GAC out of the cenosrship
business. So if you've been following the process at all, I can't see
how your point has any validity.

Further, I think one can say, a priori, that a proposal that says, "a
committee of 100 governments, not guided by any treaty or law, can
object to an application on any grounds they like," is by definition not
a good process.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org