[governance] RE: who does "public policy" then?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Apr 14 12:32:03 EDT 2007

Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> The problem with GAC's intervention in .xxx was that it was not
> guided by any legitimately formulated law of global scope. And the
> same problem exists with the proposed GAC intervention in all future
> new TLD applications. It is self-evidently ridiculous for
> governments to take a "we know it when we see it" approach to public
> policy issues in ICANN -- but that is where we seem to be going.

I'd like to challenge the assertion that this approach is
"self-evidently ridiculous".

I don't think that it's proper to redicule any kind of decision-making
process before a better alternative has been demonstrated (i.e. an
alternative decision-making process which verifiably leads to better
decisions without requiring more resources, or where the resource
requirements are greater but the resulting decisions are so much
better that that justifies the increased resource requirements.)

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                    http://Norbert.ch