[governance] RE: who does "public policy" then?

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 00:50:23 EDT 2007

>  Many people who have argued against the ICANN decision do not
> seem to think accepting the .xxx tld would itself have been a
public policy
> stance..

In my opinion, they do acknowledge that. Who would advocate
human rights and dare say they are not involved with public
policy? My understanding is that they preceive "ICANN accepting
the .xxx tld" would have been a better public policy stance
overall, or the right policy stance by default. What I mean (and
understand) by that is, those advocates are a priori not
involved in the .xxx tld application, they may not need to use
that tld if it were authorized, but some people somewhere
applied for it, and some people somewhere may think that would
be useful for their activity, their identity, their expression,
and would certainly use it. So the pro-FoE position is, *in the
absence of a legitimate, competent, agreed upon public policy
body and process that could compellingly settle this (on the
basis of its legitimacy and competence for a global utility,)
the best public policy option available is to let those people
who beleive in that tld, want it and think it is worth their
investments or resources, to do their thing. Especially so,
since national sovereigns still and fully have the possibility
to enacte or enforce relevant national public policies with
regard to that tld and possible contents.

I must say, though the relevance and, most of all, the direct
relationship from the FoE argument to the acceptance of .xxx tld
may not be as perfect and as clear to everyone, I don't see
anything better from the opposite side in terms of reference to
global legal basis/principle (as is FoE), internationally agreed
upon frameworks, and institutional processes.(*)

Anyway, the bottom line is processes are crucial. If we have
clear and legitimately established processes in place, probably
no one would seriously spend time questioning the outcome;
people could only challenge the implementation for fault and
take it up to the appeal mechanism. But at the end of the day,
whether they like it or not, they will accept the final outcome
as is.

Mawaki

(*)  Putting this as footnote because I don't intend to reopen
the argument, but just clarifying my assumptions and
understanding: the most important arguments I've heard from that
side are about perceptions of people's values, their possible
negative reactions (governments will get upset with ICANN) and
morales, etc. Sure, those arguments are serious to consider, but
again, the .xxx-like contents are already all over the Net (the
tld will not create them, and btw guess what, the irony is those
contents have played a tremendous role in the early development
of the commercial Internet); also governments who seriously feel
offended for their citizenry having access to those contents are
already blocking them -- so those who just dicover the existence
of those contents on the Net could have just joined the latter
cohort (I was also wondering if the content argument was the
problem, isn't it easier for someone to google 'sex' or 'porn'
and get the adult sites than it would be by guessing a domain
name 'abc' under .xxx just because we now have that tld in the
DNS? ...just wondering.)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org