[SIUG-discuss] [governance] Where are we going?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 13 08:24:00 EDT 2007

Looks like governance at lists.cpsr.org was accidentally not Cc'd
on this reply...

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:40:29 +0200
From: "Claude Almansi" <claude.almansi at gmail.com>

Hi All

Re:

On 4/12/07, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> > Well, the proposal text is here:
> >
> > http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/SwissInternetUserGroup.txt
>
> I believe that this has already already been done, deployed, and,
> unfortunately, ignored by web users and web content providers alike.
>
> Take a look at "Platform for Internet Content Selection (PICS)" at
> http://www.w3.org/PICS/

When I forwarded Norbert's  e-mail to the discussion list of the
Ticino accessibility project, someone there also said that it was
necessary to review existing evaluation/labeling tools before creating
new ones.

 PICS is definitely something that the foundation that should
elaborate the implementation of  IQL should examine carefully. Also,
for the accessibility part of IQL, maybe another model than the Swiss
one could be considered: the Swiss accessibility model is based on
levels A and AA of WCAG 1.0, which date back to 1999 and both the
internet and accessive technology have changed a lot since: in fact,
WCAG 2.0 should be published soon. Moreover, the EU is about to
publish its own directives on accessibility, which will be based in
the Italian law and application/evaluation rules.

Nevertheless,  I think that the present IQL proposal from the Swiss
Civil Society is per se a good thing, because it is made in the
context of Internet Governance, and - see above - because it does
foresee that the concrete implementation details be elaborated by a
foundation.

One last remark: the Italian law and decrees about accessibility (1)
are going to serve as basis for the EU directive because they are
detailed, yet simple and really applicable. And this is due to the
fact that they were elaborated in a work group lead by web
professionals (from IWA)  who had long been working on the
implementation of accessibility, and who were also participating in
the W3C group preparing  version 2.0 of the WCAG.
I think that if the foundation foreseen in the IQL proposal is to
produce something workable, it should take into account:

- - for the accessibility part: the existing Italian/EU laws/decrees/directives
- - for the other parts: a similar elaboration process involving web
professionals involved in W3C and other international work groups

Best

Claude

(1) For the English version of the  Italian legal texts concerning
accessibility, and other useful links, see
http://www.pubbliaccesso.gov.it/english/index.htm
- --
Claude Almansi
v. Cantonale 22