[governance] who does "public policy" then?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Apr 13 01:29:18 EDT 2007

Milton Mueller wrote:
> I wonder whether the IGF powers that be would be amenable to having a
> plenary theme on "global public policy for the Internet-- do we need it,
> who does it and what is it?" IG does raise policy issues. But the Tunis
> Agenda claim that "Policy authority for Internet-related public policy
> issues is the sovereign right of States" is either a meaningless
> tautology or, in my opinion, wrong and something to be politically
> resisted. You cannot invoke sovereignty when you are talking about
> policy for the internet; there are 190 sovereigns and they don't all
> agree. And there are transnational constituencies with a stake in the
> Internet's governance. National governments do not and cannot
> represent them.

I strongly support this proposal, which is consistent with both our
previous submission in February (pointing to the need for "a meta
governance theme" for Rio), as well as with submissions various of us
have made individually.  Perhaps this can be reinforced in our
contribution to the May consultations.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org