[governance] Where are we going?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 15:17:49 EDT 2007

Okay, thanks Milton...

But what about the second part of my question...

"Would/could/should ICANN or whoever is the supreme authority here
maintain jurisdiction over the naming patterns of the sub-tld's (or the
organizations managing the existing tld's)... My understanding is that
they are in turn self-regulated but what if that doesn't work for some
reason or is it the case that any principles of governance in this area
established by ICANN will automatically filter down/out to the other
domain name governing bodies?"

The implication of Bertrand's very insightful comments linking Domain
names to physical processes of identification is I think a very
significant one, especially in light of (for example) the burgeoning
industry concerned with positioning sites so that they may be more
highly ranked by Google.  The implication I think here is that "in
cyberspace (without a "name") nobody knows you (and whether or not you
are a dog or a massage parlour or an opposition political party doesn't
make much difference)..."

Imagine a scenario where all of the domain names say under the country
.tld are vetted from the perspective of a one party state which controls
the tld--it would be a good way of (at least electronically)
"disappearing" one's opposition.

So these issues aren't simply matters of free speech or dare I say human
rights, they seem to me to be quite fundamental issues of how, at least
potentially, political power may be used (or misused) in an "Information
Society".

Hmmmm...

Mike Gurstein

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training
Ste. 2101-989 Nelson St.
Vancouver, BC CANADA v6z 2s1
tel: +1-604-602-0624
http://www.communityinformatics.net