[governance] Where are we going?

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Apr 6 10:46:15 EDT 2007

Le 6 avr. 07 à 14:20, Avri Doria a écrit :

> BTW: my position is based not on the USan so called right to free
> speech, but on the UDHR which a lot of the countries that complain
> about the imperialism of freedom of expression have signed:
>
> Article 19.
>
>       Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;
> this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference
> and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any
> media and regardless of frontiers.

But, Avri, a Declaration should be considered as a whole, and there
are other articles in UDHR, like, e.g.:

"Article 29
(1) Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and
full development of his personality is possible.

(2) In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be
subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for
the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights
and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of
morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.

(3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to
the purposes and principles of the United Nations."

which is more than enough to support other positions. There's only
one way out from this endless discussion: ICANN shouldn't be expected
to adhere to these principles (in any case, it's not bound by them -
only governments are). Yes, the .xxx case is a blatant case of
content regulation (whatever stength the meaning of a domain name is
granted w.r.t. to full pages of text). But it's only the latest at
this step. What about the supremacy of trademark protection over any
other criteria? Isn't that content regulation too?

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org