[governance] Where are we going?

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Fri Apr 6 23:28:37 EDT 2007

George,

So we agree, ICANN and the GAC do global content regulation, or
semantics label regulation if you prefer.

And we also agree that ICANN/GAC needs more transparent and objective
procedures to follow while it goes about its regulatory business,
whether it justifies specificx decisions on technical or other
groiunds.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> george.sadowsky at attglobal.net 4/6/2007 12:07 PM >>>
Back to the future (after many interventions that came while I was
asleep) .

The .xxx debacle is a symptom of a real problem that will continue to
assert itself.  Now forget about the details of .xxx and go back to
Karl's original question - what do we want in the future?

At 6:02 PM -0400 4/5/07, Milton Mueller wrote:
>  >>> George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> 4/5/2007 3:08
PM

>>I think that what is missing in your argument is the recognition
>>that we live in a multicultural world and that the Internet is a
>>global phenomenon.
>
>No. It is precisely the multicultural, diverse nature of the world
that
>animates my desire to prevent ICANN from becoming a chokepoint. Such
>chokepoint, as Robin eloquently put it, becomes a way of "imposing
all
>intolerances cumulatively on everyone."
>
>Try to understand that, please.

I understand the reasoning, but I differ regarding the remedy.
Omitting the extreme positions, which Bertrand has aptly described,
in a multicultural environment there will be disputes over specific
sensitive labels, whether having to do with sex, religion, the king,
or whatever.  I think that ultimately some organization is going to
inject itself into the label-semantics business (which is quite
different from the actual content business), and I would rather see
it be a revision of, say, the current GAC structure than the UN
General Assembly, or the ITU, or UNESCO, or some other body.   The
danger is that the external body, once being given or taking a
mandate to get into judging top-level names, will be tempted to get
into judging content also.

I think it is not realistic that the growth of the TLD name space can
avoid this.  If I am right, let's plan for a transition that is
broadly and globallly acceptable, and that retains maximum freedom
and autonomy for the Internet's degrees of freedom and the rest of
ICANN's functionality, rather than risking their erosion by
stubbornly adhering to a principle with respect to top level label
semantics.

>The TLD selection criteria being considered by ICANN will constantly
>pit one culture against another. It invites people to view TLD
creation
>as a conferral of global approval and legitimacy on one set of ideas
>rather than as coordination of unique strings, the meaning of which
>different nations and cultures can negotiate and regulate according
>their own norms.
>
>>A minimum of decency and respect for the
>>sensitivities of others would go a long way in making the
>>evolution of Internet governance less contentious and more
>>productive
>
>I understand this argument. Vittorio was making the same point.
>There is something to be said for it, as a guide to _personal_
conduct.
>But translated into institutionalized rules, it is a recipe for
>systematic suppression of diversity and dissent. If you are prevented
by
>law from saying something that offends anyone, then your expression
is
>seriously restricted. Global policy making processes for resource
>assignment are not the greatest way to enforce "decency and respect
for
>sensitivities." Of course that does not mean I advocate going out of
my
>way to offend people, just because it is legal to do it. And yes,
there
>are jerks who will do that. But I think the problems posed by a few
>insensitive jerks is much smaller than putting into place a global
>machinery that encourages organized groups to object to and challenge
>the non-violent expressions of others.

Insensitive jerks have a way of magnifying the destructive power of
their insensitivity.  Small wars have been started by insensitive
jerks.  Closer to home, Brett Fawcett reports that the GAC has just
closed its public discussion forum because of obscenities posted to
it by some insensitive jerks.  We have  huge decency and sensitivity
deficits in many walks of life, including in the Internet community,
and we are paying for it.  Let's not adopt policies which threaten to
increase these deficits.

>Anyway, I think we are finally getting to the core of the
disagreement.
>The .xxx rejection was not fundamentally about its so-called lack of
>community support, or about concerns that it would lead ICANN into
>contractual content regulation. It was about this.

According to the Board members  who commented, assuming that they are
telling the truth that's not correct.  They argued that the content,
and the label, did not influence their decision.   (If I were on the
Board, I would have thought differently.)  I think that the community
support issue was a real one, but to be fair it did not appear to be
the subject of much study by anyone, just claims in both directions.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org