[governance] names or numbers? - the evil semantics

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 11:19:55 EDT 2007

On the spurious notion that content-related issues can totally
be ignored while dealing with TLD... *names* (and it doesn't
make much of a difference if you call them 'strings' instead.)

Granted, it is possible to have a rule that requests the steward
of the authoritative root server to add to the database any TLD
whose applicant meets minimum operational criteria. But I'm
afraid this is not so simple with names (would perfectly work
though with IP number-only system.) Because people relate to
possible meaning of TLD strings, content issues are lurking
somewhere in the process (from application to authorization to
use). And if some people choose one string and not another one,
some other are likely to contend that choice on the same basis:
meaning.

So, it seems we can't do way with semantics (thus, with
content.)

Imagine an intenret without DNS... and we were only to use IP
numbers to navigate the Web. Do you remember the reasons why the
DNS was set up? Wasn't semantics one of these? And once you
introduce name in a system, you introduce semantics inevitably,
and with semantics, what we call in French "le loup dans la
bergerie" (the wolf in the sheepfold).

Certainly an internet addressing system based on numbers only
would have saved us quite a few (huge) policy issues and
debates, and resources. But such internet probably wouldn't have
the great social impact of the one we know. The thing is, our
brains are not computers, our universe not a flat
digital/numerical one; we are poor symbolic beings and we need
meaning. We declare wars and we slaughter for it. So are we the
evil?

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org