[governance] Where are we going?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:15:43 EDT 2007

Meryem is also perfectly right in her comments.

But as for analogies, let me say again what I said in a previous message :

"Using physical world analogies is useful : to understand how people feel
and to understand what is similar and what is different in the virtual world
as opposed to the physical one."

Analogies in the scientific world are considered as the best and worst of
things : leading to incredibly innovative insights or on the contrary to
complete mistakes by extrapolation. It's exactly the same regarding policy
issues : let's not hesitate to use them as long as they enlighten the
discussion and we remain clear that they are exactly that, analogies and not
equivalences.

Best

Bertrand

On 4/6/07, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > > placement of the equivalent of signs advertising lap dances on
> > the right of
> > > St Peter's altar AND for not positioning moral condemnations or
> > call to
> > > repentance at the entrance of entertainment sites;
> > > 3) that in other cases, maybe the Davos - Porto Alegre example,
> > the Holodeck
> > > effect placing together streams of information that are competing
> > views on
> > > the same subject micht actually be beneficial to a better
> > understanding.;
> > >
> > > In any case, the whole discussion is, once again, about
> > coexistence of
> > > different cultural and value sets in a common environment. This
> > is a debate
> > > that has not taken place yet and will necessarily impose itself.
> > It deserves
> > > better than just talking past one another. Using physical world
> > analogies is
> > > useful : to understand how people feel and to understand what is
> > similar and
> > > what is different in the virtual world as opposed to the physical
> > one.
> > >
> > > Best
> > >
> > > Bertrand

> > in the
> > choose but,

> > name, sign,
> > streets, may be
> > something

> > to death
> > > by being
> > crown of
> > > thorns

> > displays.

> > abandon placing
> > > such

> > to muzzle
> > > those
> > (which is
> > > itself
> > people or even
> > > make
> > > circumstances in
> > or highly
> > > reckless
> > response; and we
> > > certainly
> > been
> > > proposed.

> > principle of
> > > internet
> > have a
> > > clear,

> > which end
> > > users (or
> > adequate
> > > governance.

> > perceived
> > > business
> > these being non
> > governance. They
> > > are,
> > legislatures and the
> > > slow

> > Bertrand de La Chapelle
> > "Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine
> > de Saint Exupéry
> > ("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères / French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32