[governance] Where are we going?

wcurrie at apc.org wcurrie at apc.org
Thu Apr 5 19:22:41 EDT 2007

Those of us who have been subject to empires understand one thing very clearly: no empire ever permitted freedom of speech. :)

That said, the point is that if ICANN is reponsible only for the technical regulation of the internet (as was repeatedly insisted upon by ICANN's ultimate authority, the USG, during WSIS), then the moment it makes a decision on a matter that is not technical but semiotically, ideologically and connotatively loaded, e.g. on a TLD for the global pornography industry, it is moving out of technical regulation and into the sphere of public policy.

This is one of the reasons why the EU placed the issue of public policy principles for the management of critic internet resources on the Tunis agenda. It is not going to go away by ignoring or downplaying it as an issue. It is  the elephant in the room.

The .xxx decision is a mere symptom of the global public policy malaise on developing globally acceptable rules for governing the internet in the global public interest. As others have observed, the USG missed an opportunity to deal with this issue head on at WSIS. I'm afraid the issue is now doomed to recur in the form of endlessly-recurring morbid symptoms until the next opportunity or crisis arises to deal with it - unless ICANN takes the initiative to discuss it openly through an approriate public, transparent and administratively fair process, in which all stakeholders can be heard.

Willie