[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of CensorshipinDomain Names

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 5 10:56:02 EDT 2007

>>> guru at itforchange.net 4/4/2007 9:46 AM >>>
>So 200 or so Governments not agreeing
>amongst themselves does not in any way reduce
>their legitimacy as stakeholders to this process.

No one said govts were not legitimate actors per se. But if they don't
agree, on what basis can they impose a uniform policy on the entire
world, via ICANN?

>Also are 'fundamental rights' divinely ordained ... Or are
>they what societies (with active participation of Governments)
>have accepted at particular points in time.

This argument gets you into a dead end, an infinite regress. Who or
what are the "societies" that establish rights? They are composed of
people like you and me. And if I and others who agree strongly advocate
for a free internet and free expression, then "society" may accept and
institute that. Let's have that debate on the merits. We cannot sit
poassively back and accept what "society" tells us is our rights. We
must actively shape and define them, based on our knowledge and our
conscience.  That is the business we are in here, isn't it?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org