[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Michael Leibrandt michael_leibrandt at web.de
Thu Apr 5 03:10:12 EDT 2007

Wolfgang and all,

Besides the fact that I'm really getting tired of this "good people - bad governments" nonsens, one important correction to what has been said regarding the .berlin situation:

The decision of the German Parlimanent clearly points out that only those TLD initiatives should be supported by the Government that are "carried or supported" by the relevant public authorities. Therefore a) the decision of the German Parliament is fully in line with the new GAC gTLD Principles and b) there is no contradiction at all between the different "layers" of public authority. So I don't see why ICANN should have a problem to take a decision, unless it would start to question internal decision making processes at the national level - something most us wouldn't like to see, right?

Finally to all people outside Germany: Yes, even in my country every public authority has to act according to the existing legal framework. Those who claim that specific (local) Government action is wrong can always go to law. So there is actually no real need for conspiracy theories and especially no reason to mention this in the context of "censorship" (Wolfgang, at least you should know what censorship really means).

Michael, Berlin

     governance at lists.cpsr.org