[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Apr 4 16:00:14 EDT 2007

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Are you begging the question? The issue we are debating is whether
> something like this should be a "policy decision" at all, or whether
> ICANN is a coordinator of the root that focuses on technical criteria.

Clearly not on technical criteria alone -- otherwise probably the whole
new TLD delegation process could be made almost automatic. And clearly
ICANN is a body which has to handle/listen to national policy questions
as well, which interfere with and inform its overall decisions, reason
why it has the GAC in its innards, as well as many "non-technical" civil
society organizations.

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org