[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Tue Apr 3 18:33:26 EDT 2007

Robin Gross ha scritto:
> Hi Vittorio!
>
> Thanks for the comments.  But asking the question whether or not .xxx is
> a 'good idea' begs for a system of subjective and arbitrary policies
> from ICANN.

May I challenge the frequent use of "subjective" as a pejorative
adjective? Policy decisions in a global and very diverse environment
necessarily reflect differences in mindsets and evaluations, and thus
differ according to the person; they can't be anything but subjective.
The legitimacy lies in the composition of the Board and in the processes
that lead to it, not in the decision itself.

Apart from this, my comment on the "bad idea" was secondary to the fact
that .xxx was rejected because, in all honesty, most directors thought
that it did not meet the requirements for approval set forth in the
process. People can legitimately disagree, as long as they recognize the
legitimacy of those who disagree with them :-)

> You may be right .xxx is a stupid idea.  You may be right that down the
> line some govts could use a .xxx for censorship purposes.  But all of
> this is irrelevant.
> The point is that ICANN is NOT in the business of picking good ideas and
> preventing bad ideas from going forward.   ICANN's mission is technical
> coordination not speech regulation.

Curiously, at the GAC Open Session the summarization of the general
sentiment of participants was "be warned that if you approve .xxx, then
you are stepping into content regulation". The exact opposite of what
you say here.

Personally, I can't see why rejecting .xxx is speech regulation, but
approving it is technical coordination. If the creation of .xxx is a
political issue, then it is so both if you approve it and if you reject
it. I think that it is utopian to think that you can discuss such an
action without considering the social and political aspects; that's what
most of the outside world expects anyway.

And the suggestion that ICANN should do stupid things just because the
process leads to them is, as a minimum, bureaucratical :-)

> So simply asking the question whether or not a certain tld should be
> allowed to exist based on its content, means we accept content
> regulation by ICANN.

But ICANN did not decide on this application based on content. Instead,
it decided on a set of criteria which included a qualitative and, to the
scarce extent possible, quantitative evaluation of support and
opposition to this proposal. It is indeed true that many of those who
expressed opposition might have done so on the basis of the expected
content of this TLD, but then, you should complain with them and not
with ICANN.

I tend to feel that, independently of what you and I may think of this
matter, the Internet (the global community) in the overall wasn't mature
enough for .xxx. Perhaps you, Milton, Susan etc would get better results
by convincing the world to embrace your "hyper-liberalistic" view of
this market, though I don't think that it'd be easy to get significant
support for that political orientation outside of a few developed countries.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org