[Expression] [governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Apr 3 18:26:28 EDT 2007

Andrew McLaughlin wrote:

> I'm saying ICANN should reject any TLD that is not content-neutral,
> regardless of what the content is. .xxx would not be content-agnostic, and
> so should be rejected (IMHO). I fear the consequences if governments get the
> idea that the DNS can be used to label and control content.

Hmmm, that's a subtle shift of ideas.  We were talking about content-neutral
evaluation of applications and you seem to be talking about content-neutral
operation of the TLD itself.

Am I reading you correctly?

And if so, does that suggest that "sponsored" TLDs would necessarily be out of
bounds?

And would I be correct in thinking that non-neutral treatment that is the
result of the action of local law would not cause a TLD to be out of bounds?

I do kinda like the idea, and I imagine that were there enough TLDs that users
of various flavors would naturally coalesce around one or the other TLD thus
giving those TLDs a kind of content-flavor but not through the action of the
operator but rather by the choices of the users/customers.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org