[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Tue Apr 3 10:58:13 EDT 2007

I think it's important to distinguish between "censorship" (which I
think most would define as the total blocking of access to content)
and "zoning" (which is placing restrictions on the place at which one
may place content). Government regulations, in the U.S. or elsewhere,
that used the .XXX TLD would "zone" pornographic speech, not censor
it. If you can access content at a .XXX TLD, it's not "censored,"
it's just zoned.