[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Apr 3 02:05:01 EDT 2007

David Goldstein wrote:

> First, one prerequisite is for applicants for a TLD to have community
> support. There was no community support from the adult/porn industry.
> ICM claimed there was but never showed it.

I don't want to debate whether there was support or not.  I tend to
agree with Peter Dengate Thrush's assessment.

However, the real question is why should a governance body have even the
authority to ask such a question?

We could discuss the ultimate power and authority of governments, but
that is not what is happening here.

Rather we have a body, a body that is supposedly of limited authority
and supposedly with some linkage to matters of a technical nature,
making decisions about whether a person who believes he/she has a good
idea, is willing to abide by widely accepted written internet technical
standards and practices, and is willing to risk his/her own money can
have a top level domain, and who is even more overtly willing than
Yahoo, e-Bay, or Google to abide by the local laws of nations.

Intentionally making a pun on DNS itself: Where is the source of
authority that allows an internet governance body to deny someone the
ability to try out an idea?

One standard answer to that is "consent of the governed."  OK, I'll
accept that.  But in this case where is that consent to be found?
(Remember, ICANN erased the board seats of those of us who were elected
by the public.)

One of the problems that I have seen in the context of internet
governance is a shortage of guiding principles.

At the risk of repeating what I have said many times elsewhere: here is
a formulation that I find useful when trying to get my bearings in these
situations:

   First Law of the Internet

+ Every person shall be free to use the Internet
   in any way that is privately beneficial without
   being publicly detrimental.

    - The burden of demonstrating public detriment
      shall be on those who wish to prevent the
      private use.

        - Such a demonstration shall require clear
          and convincing evidence of public detriment.

    - The public detriment must be of such degree and
      extent as to justify the suppression of the
      private activity.

> Second, I have major reservations about the role ICANN may be forced
> to play in content regulation should problems eventuate with ICM.

I have heard this said, but I am quite unable to fathom what risks ICANN
may be undertaking that are not already present via ICANN's existing
role over .com, where the majority of porn is to be found today, and
ICANN's role over IP addresses, which are necessarily used by every
pornmeister.

ICANN is merely keeping track of character strings in a very simple
database.  There are no photographs, no videos, nothing of a salacious
nature.

Moreover, imagine that ICANN is asked to approve religious TLDs, such as
.islam, .christian, .jew, etc.  Now, I have seen an lot of religious art
and read a lot of biblical texts and I can attest that a lot of it is
based on torture and violent death that many might find offensive or
worse.  And certainly, over the years a lot more people have been killed
as the result of religious fervor than sexual arousal.

The argument that you are making seems equally applicable to these
religious TLDs.

If we accept the arguments made against .xxx, then it may well be that
we ought to use those same arguments to ban religious TLDs, or cultural
TLDs (.liberal or .green) or even those that merely elicit odd feelings
- like .puppyfumping (that's a word I made up that sounds like something
terrible but really has no meaning at all.)

Moreover, ICANN damned itself in this matter years ago when it first
chose to categorize, and favor, "sponsored" TLDs.  That put ICANN into
the content regulation business - co-ops and museums are favored
material, titillating pictures are not.  The net result is that ICANN
has to draw arbitrary and subjective lines.

Better to stay away from that question in the first place.  Had ICANN
never inquired it would have never known, and need not know, whether
.xxx represents porn or three crosses being dragged up Calvary Mount
(indeed the triple x is in fact derived from the image of three crosses.)

And that is the issue of governance - How do we create institutions of
governance that do the things we want to have done and yet limit them so
that they do not overreach and do things impinge on the rights of
natural persons?

Do we want a body that assures that the upper tiers of the domain name
system operate reliably, fairly, efficiently, and accurately?  Or do we
want a maiden aunt to tell adults what they can look at and not?

> In addition, the creation of such a TLD should never have got off the
> ground.

The same argument can be made about .pro, .mobi, .travel .aero, .biz,
etc etc - None of these have garnered the attention of more than a tiny
community and none can really demonstrate that the public has gained
anything from their existence.

Several years ago I heard this new idea, it was an idea that was being
rebuffed by virtually the entire community who had knowledge of such
matters.  It was called "packet switching".

Had we followed a path that said that no idea could be deployed until it
had proved itself valuable, then it is doubtful that we would have had
the internet, much less this discussion.

> To call this censorship is plain wrong.

Then I guess you'd have to say that I am extremely wrong.

		--karl--
		Karl Auerbach

     governance at lists.cpsr.org