[governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 2 22:43:33 EDT 2007

Robin,

I strongly disagree with your comments Robin.

First, one prerequisite is for applicants for a TLD to have community support. There was no community support from the adult/porn industry. ICM claimed there was but never showed it. My contacts in the adult industry cannot find anyone in the industry who has supported the creation of this TLD. The opposition of religious groups should have been inconsequential, but as subscribers to my news will have seen, they're crowing about their input into the rejection. I would have thought the lack of community support was reason enough to not approve the proposed TLD.

Second, I have major reservations about the role ICANN may be forced to play in content regulation should problems eventuate with ICM.

In addition, the creation of such a TLD should never have got off the ground. It does nothing to protect children unless there is enforced registrations of adult content in this field. It also uses a western concept on what is adult content. You could easily argue that it is all about western, and mostly American, views about protecting children.

Further, those voting against the resolution put forward at the meeting only voted against supporting the resolution. They did not necessarily vote in favour of the creation of a .xxx TLD.

To call this censorship is plain wrong.

Cheers
David