[governance] Update on voting for charter

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Sep 29 05:56:39 EDT 2006

Jeanette got it right below, but I have to add a couple more factors

In an age where electronic voting is being promoted as an enabling
democractic option for national elections, and when I have just completed a
national census online with a very simple interface,

THIS HAS BEEN AN UNBELIEVABLY COMPLEX PROCESS!

Software is a mile above the functionality we have been asked to deal with.

WE HAVE BEEN OBSESSED WITH PROCESS

The process we have been through has only been exceeded in Internet history
by the excesses of the ICANN Whois debates and the odd esoteric IETF debate.
Less than a month out from IGF this list has been dominated with process
rather than substance.

That being said, my last shout is

PLEASE VOTE NOW

Because we have to move on from here, and if like me to date we all hang off
from voting in the next few days because of frustration with the process we
only go backwards and have to start again. (which, believe it or not, would
be worse).

Our only way forward is to agree on a process and elect some coordinators.

LETS DO IT (oops, promised not to shout any more)

Ian Peter