[governance] Re: Antispam practices

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Thu Sep 28 04:40:10 EDT 2006

Peter Dambier wrote:

> I could not use it because they did not support linux.
> And my ISP is more often on everybodies blacklist than not.
> Try my ISP "dtag.de". It is the biggest guy in germay but I remember
> calls to their hotline. I dont think they do even know what spam is.

I think that the ISP model is slowly shifting to a clear split between
access (ie providing IP connectivity) and services (e-mail, hosting
etc). In the past, ISPs did provide connectivity, along with e-mail,
home page hosting, Usenet news, DNS, etc.

What we see now are alternative providers for these services (Blogger,
MSN Spaces, Hotmail, Gmail, etc). For those who do not wish to use these
services, they have the opportunity to rent a shared host for less than
EUR 10/USD 12 per month and be in total control.

The good news is that ISPs which concentrate on just providing access
could usually do it cheaper because they would not have to maintain the
infrastructure to offer additional services.

The bad news is that many ISPs think the 10-year old all-inclusive
package still applies and that it is what their customers expect.

Until they wake up to the new model, the only thing we can do is vote
with our feet.

Patrick

     governance at lists.cpsr.org