[governance] Voting progress on charter on day 4

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Sep 22 10:48:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

It is now the 4th day in the voting so I figured it was time for
another update and the periodic reminder.

Update:

- So far 17 people have voted.  This is 34% of the minimum threshold
of 50 votes that are required for the vote to count.  Assuming that
the rate of voting continues, we should be able to reach the
threshold. It should be noted that 17 is a bare 10% of those who are
on the voters list.

- I have added one person to the voting list who was qualified by
virtue of having joined the list before the 24 July cutoff, but who
had not given me a personal name to go along with their email name by
the time I created the voter's list.

- I removed my duplicate entry from the voter list - while i never
intend to vote twice (as i did in the test votes - canceling my vote
out with contradictory votes), it just looked bad - at least to me.

- I removed the list service accounts (igc-voters-eVote and igc-
voters-admin) from the voters list.  Since I am the only one who
could have voted from those, it would have given me 4 possible
votes.  that would really look bad.

- I synced the list with the mailman list allowing one person who had
changed subscription address to be added to the voters list.
---There may be a side effect of this.
    At least one person had set their account to vacation
    (eVote vacation) which is supposed to prevent  them from
    receiving email without removing their ability to vote
    in the future should they want to.  I think the act of
    sync'ing removed the vacation setting - i am not sure why
    this would happen and think it a bug.  If anyone is having
    trouble getting the vacation setting to work or to stick -
    let me know. I am not sure what I can do about it at this
    point other then report the bug.

Reminder:

This a 4 part ballot open until the end of day 2 Oct 2006

To vote:
- send plain text email to:  igc-voters at igcaucus.org
- with the correct subject (shown below)
- with the proper command (shown below)

1. Base charter

Subject:  IGC Charter vote

--->if you support the charter then your message body should look like:
eVote yes

-->if you do not support the charter then your message body should
look like:
eVote no

----------
2. Is voting open or closed

Subject: igc voting style

--> if you support that all voting be by secret vote then your
message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support open voting with the option of a closed vote then
your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

----------

3. How is the IGC Appeals team selected

Subject: IGC Appeals Team vote

--> if you support using a nominating committee process to select the
appeals team then your message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support using a voting process to select the appeals team
then your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

----------

4. How does the IGC pick its nominees for other bodies, e.g. the IGF
advisory group

Subject: IGC Nominations vote

--> if you support using a nominating committee process to select the
slates of nominees then your message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support using a voting process to select the nominees then
your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

----------

Note it is important that the message body be
- plain text
- eVote is the first word in the first line with no characters, not
even spaces, proceeding it
- for those cases [2-4] where there is a second line of the message
-- the number must be the first character in the second line
-- there must be a space between the period and the y

Also note, that you can check on the status of the vote with:  eVote
info
and that you can change your vote any time until the vote closes by
voting again

For the adventurous: there are more things you do, to find out what
send a message:
eVote help

As always please let me know about any difficulties you may experience.

thanks
a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org