[governance] Antispam practices

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 21 07:47:32 EDT 2006

Hello,

I wanted to share the nasty experience I had today with anti-spam
blacklists.

This morning I was working from home, connected through one of Italy's
major ISPs via a DSL line. When I tried to send email as usual, the mail
server of my own company started to reject them, as my IP address
appeared in a couple of international anti-spam blacklists.

I checked the sanity of my systems - both my laptop and my Linux gateway
to the world - and I checked the blacklists; it turns out that,
yesterday, a previous user of the same IP (which is dynamically
attributed each time you connect, and, given the quality of our copper,
my gateway disconnects and reconnects relatively often) had been using
it to spam (voluntarily or not).

So I go to the website suggested in the error message (cbl.abuseat.org),
I try to delist my IP and... apparently, since it is a dynamic IP
address, they would refuse to do so, or even if they accepted, according
to their website, it is likely that the IP would be blacklisted again
quite soon.

In this case, I was trying to connect with my company's mail server, so
there were plenty of possible solutions. However, given the ridiculous
policy of these people, I chose to disable these blacklists all at once.
But if, by chance, I had been using my own gateway as outgoing mail
server, something I often do, I would have been completely shut out of
the Internet for what regards email, without having any chance to get
this fixed, apart from finding patchy workarounds such as disconnecting
and reconnecting to get another IP address (which could have been
blacklisted as well).

Well, there is a "proposed" solution (which means, they unilaterally
decide you have to do things that way) on the blacklist's website: stop
using your own server and use your ISP's one. Now, you might have
noticed that just yesterday, here in Italy, the head of security of the
major national telco was arrested for illegally intercepting and
recording phone calls and emails of thousands of people, so that does
look like a sound suggestion, really. (While discussing this accident
with a nerder friend involved in the anti-spam circles, he replied "but
why do you care to be intercepted, if you don't have anything to hide".
Oh well, you really got the point about privacy!) And what if my ISP
didn't provide reliable mail servers, or didn't provide them at all?
Should then I change ISP? And what else do you want to decide for me?
The color of my shirt?

Practically, these people are suggesting that I should give up the basic
principle of the Internet, and my right to set up my own servers and
services at any public IP address, and pay someone else to send my mail,
only because my IP address is dynamic. And I don't know about elsewhere,
but here, many ISPs won't even sell you a fixed IP address, unless you
are a corporate customer. Ah, sure, I forgot I should get the ISP they
like, not I.

But what really gets me mad is that this policy, which indeed deeply
affects what I can or cannot do with the Internet, was never discussed
with me, meaning, the final users. I've been attending a good number of
the existing Internet governance forums around, but where there ever was
an open discussion and subsequent broad consensus on the correct
policies for blacklisting and delisting? This policy affects me in deep,
how can I influence it? Sure, there is a comment form on the CBL
website, accompanied by the message: "WARNING! Comments are not read
routinely and will not be responded to.". Thanks for the kindness.

Please don't misunderstand me. I realize the great service that
blacklists provide, for free. I realize in full the technical difficulty
of managing this situation, and of fighting spam with the current email
protocols. But I do not support the idea that there can be
self-appointed sheriffs of the Internet, that can in fact block (censor)
your bits according to any policy they like. Sure, one could think that
blacklisting won't be used if it's not reasonable, but if you're just an
individual being unjustly blocked, which sysadmin will ever care to
alter its default mail server configuration just because of you? And how
do you ask for that, if you can't send email? And who ensures that, in
the middle of ordinary spam blockings, there will not be networks or
individuals that are being blocked for their opinions or for political
judgements or to alter market competition?

I should have the right not to be blacklisted if I didn't do anything.
If blacklist managers can't handle the operational requirements to do
so, then please don't run a blacklist.

I hope we can have a fruitful discussion on this specific point at the
next IGF in Athens. And volunteer for that, wholeheartedly.

Ciao,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org