[governance] IGF workshop proposals

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Sep 1 12:04:46 EDT 2006

Adam Peake ha scritto:
> <http://info.intgovforum.org/wsl.php>
>
> IGF Workshop proposals received by the August 24 deadline.  May be a
> couple more to come.
>
> 34 proposals in total -- I wished there's been a few more, but
> understand the difficulties involved in putting togther a proposal.

For example - to bring my personal experience - I and Robin succeeded in
putting together a proposal on the Internet Bill of Rights, but I could
not manage to submit a proposal on trusted computing, due to the
difficulty to find panelists, supporters etc. during summer time and in
my spare time, and with the apparent risk that either you manage to find
plenty of sponsors, prove your credibility and budget, etc, or your
proposal will be rejected and all your efforts will have been wasted.

But when I go out and discuss this, many say "how come you'll not be
talking about trusted computing, it's a hot issue, it's unbelievable
that such a matter can be ignored", etc. And I'm sure that if we set up
a room for that in Athens, many would show up and have a lively and
interesting discussion. So I'm wondering whether there could be the
opportunity to set up informal discussions with somewhat softer
requirements than those for workshops, especially if there will be free
slots remaining.

In this case, I raise my hand again for trusted computing, which is
quite hot in the European tech scene; also, network neutrality, which
AFAIK is really hot in the US, seems to be missing, isn't it?

In general, I think it would be better to cover all important issues,
even if in some cases with less perfect events, than have 30 great
events of which 20 are, say, on meta-governance issues. If I may, as an
engineer, at a first glance there seems to be too much sky-high
pondering and not enough technology in this event, but perhaps that's
normal given the environment. However, maybe you could try to rebalance
things a little using any spare slots remaining.

I strongly support the general idea that you should apply your criteria
independently from the numbers. I refrained to submit my TC workshop
proposal because I couldn't make it sufficiently strong, and now I see
even weaker and less diverse proposals in the list. Or if you really
want to accept some of them - for example, the WBU "content rights"
proposal, which, as it is now, really worries me - you should ensure
that the workshop is broadened and also includes the other points of
view on the matter! I am sure there would be many of us willing to join
and help balancing unbalanced workshops, if their current proposers
accepted the idea.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org