[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Oct 27 09:53:28 EDT 2006

Just to clarify:

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> parminder at itforchange.net 10/26/06 5:18 PM >>>
> Milton also have lamented such 'last minute efforts' which
>he thinks are doomed to failure. But I think purposeful advocacy
>spaces are not like research or academic activities. It is very
>often opportunistic, and a lot of such last minute kind of activities
>are involved. If countries can work our internationally agreed
>and often binding texts in the last
>confused hours - as we saw at WSIS, so can the CS.

I did not mean to imply that I thought last-minute efforts were
inherently bad or inherently doomed to failure, only that I have seen
this specific caucus go through three or four of these efforts which did
fail. Therefore, when I had to decide whether to carefully follow the
drafting process or not, I chose not to because there was a large risk
that I would be spending lots of time on something that would bear no
fruit. Too many other demands on my time at this point. So I tuned out.

And I agree, a chartered IGC should have more legitimacy of process and
leadership and thus should in principle be able to act faster.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org