[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Oct 26 05:07:07 EDT 2006

"Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> But the problem is that IGF is an (potentially) important institution for
> IG, and some of these questions are crucial to be asked in the first
> meeting.

I agree wholeheartedly, even though because of time constraints,
I can't currently actively participate in the development of the
text.

> So I suggest that we give 24 hours for anyone to oppose submission by the
> IGC to the IGF with these three points - pulling together text which has
> been circulated - and if no one opposes it, we write a 'clear' text and put
> it up for adoption. This can be done over the weekend. And if there are a
> good number of assenting voices, and no dissent we go ahead with it. And I
> am sure that this would not be a new procedure. Statements have been adopted
> on behalf of the IGC earlier in similar conditions. And with similar number
> of people involved initially in the exchanges.

That's fine with me.

In the alternative scenario that there is dissent which cannot be
resolved in the scarce remaining time, I'd suggest that if a 'clear'
text is produced as proposed above, it can still be used, as a
statement in the name of "the undersigned members of the Internet
Governance Caucus", and everyone who wants can sign during the lunch
break on Monday.

That way we'll still have something ready by the time of the "setting
the scene" session (Monday 3pm), but there won't be any procedural
worries about holding a vote or some other formal way of authorizing
a statement in the name of the IGC which is not based on total
consensus.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--