[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 25 15:33:34 EDT 2006

> Anyway, I think this and any other tweaks are probably moot,

> as a dialogue

> among five or six people isn't a basis for caucus statement.

> If someone

> wants to do a sign-on for this version, yours, or

> Parminder's, maybe we

> could pull that off, but I'm not sinking more time into this,

But the problem is that IGF is an (potentially) important institution for
IG, and some of these questions are crucial to be asked in the first
meeting. Otherwise its character will be cast. And if we do not ask them, in
all probability, nobody else is going to.

Can we so easily give up on this responsibility.

As for the problem of not having due processes for calling rough consensus,
I suggest a way out, if Avri is agreeable to it. There has been a consensus
among the 5-6 people who got involved in the discussion on the three basic
points on Bill's text - developing capacity in IGF to fulfill its complete
mandate, transparency of its processes and pro-active effort for
inclusiveness, and setting up WG/ dynamic coalition kind structures on an
ongoing basis. We have heard no opposition to these three points.

So I suggest that we give 24 hours for anyone to oppose submission by the
IGC to the IGF with these three points - pulling together text which has
been circulated - and if no one opposes it, we write a 'clear' text and put
it up for adoption. This can be done over the weekend. And if there are a
good number of assenting voices, and no dissent we go ahead with it. And I
am sure that this would not be a new procedure. Statements have been adopted
on behalf of the IGC earlier in similar conditions. And with similar number
of people involved initially in the exchanges.

Parminder

PS: I am traveling in 2 hours, and will be offline for 15 hours after that.

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890

Fax: (+91-80) 4146 1055