[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Oct 25 09:15:41 EDT 2006

William Drake ha scritto:
> Well, Vittorio hasn't indicated that he's withdrawn the language he's
> proposed, so you can't replace that with this.  You could post them both as
> options a and b or something if you like.

I was actually meaning to be helpful, not to push my own views :) I
think that Parminder's right in suggesting that both drafts share the
same views - I am fine with your text, even if I think that it would be
better if you could dry up the introduction, and I would love a "less
panels, more debate" sentence somewhere (but that's not a requirement,
at all).

My only concern is that we are more or less complaining to the globe,
but there is no clear step forward that we ask for... I mean, the
original was too much of a petition, but this is IMHO too much of a
statement. Perhaps we could close it with a sentence asking the UN SG to
take our procedural comments into account when forming the next AG for
Rio, and the next AG to take our substantial comments into account when
organizing IGF 2007.

However, another option which I would really like is to try to form a
bottom-up informal multistakeholder group to work in the next 4-6 weeks
and come up with a consensus proposal on better formal structures for
the IGF (eg AG selection procedures, meat for the "dynamic coalitions"
idea, etc). We could use the excuse that the old AG is expired and that
the new AG does not yet exist, to exploit the window of opportunity and
demonstrate the power of self-organization, while ensuring that we reach
some of the objectives we state. But would we ever be able to convince
other stakeholder groups - even just business, I* societies and
Secretariat could be enough, governmental concerns can be addressed
separately later - and make this happen?

PS You still have the "developing counties" typo in point 2, coming from
the original text.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org