[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Oct 24 19:56:15 EDT 2006

William Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ok, here's yet another text we can chomp on.  Sorry to have been slow,
> my brain's fuzzy per usual and I had to help my wife with something.

Just two points.  First, I have an issue with the whole "dynamic
coalitions" idea, because it is easy for a powerful oligopoly to exclude
other willing stakeholders from a dynamic coalition, and difficult to
ensure that it is in any way accountable or transparent in its
functioning.  I much prefer the idea of relatively formal working groups
which can be required to report to the IGF, to adhere to consensus
principles, and to be inclusive of any willing participants.

So I would simply delete the words "any dynamic coalitions or
informal"; it may be just a change of nomenclature, but I think no less
powerful for that.

Second, in lieu of it being a petition, perhaps you could include in
there a reference to how many members of the IGC there are?  Though that
is an open question, I realise.

Either way, don't let these small niggles hold this up being
finalised/formalised if others seriously disagree.

Finally, can we stick this up at igcaucus.org (even if it has a "DRAFT"
label on it)?

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org