[governance] IGC's questions to the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Oct 24 09:26:06 EDT 2006

Adam Peake wrote:
> Petitioning seems to miss the whole point of IGF. It's Groundhog Day and
> we're at a WSIS prepcom?

Doesn't really bother me if it's framed as a petition or something else,
but the main benefit of a petition is that we have an idea of how many
people are in agreement, and that one or two objectors within IGC aren't
going to break it.

> Instead ask questions, make suggestions. Write them down now, send them
> to the secretariat.

Most of the time that is to send them into a very deep black hole (I
speak from experience).

> Ask MAG members to give them to moderators of
> sessions (I promise to do what I can... with minimal editorial. But do
> cut point 6 :-)  Blog the comments and hope they are picked up as part
> of remote participation/"blogsphere".  etc.

Doing that too (in the past week I've blogged on CircleID, at
IGFWatch.org, at igf2006.info, commented on other blogs and mailing
lists, recorded a 5 minute video, and I forget what else).  I still
think a petition has certain advantages these don't.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org