[governance] IGC's questions to the IGF

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Oct 23 11:24:21 EDT 2006

Hi,

Responding to two of posts from Adam.

> From: Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>

> IGF seems to be ignoring a large part of it's mandate
> (<http://www.intgovforum.org/mandate.htm>)  It would be good to ask
> why, but better to discuss how to we can start to address the
> overlooked issues. (does why matter as much as improving things?)

That's why I suggested a simple text asking how IGF participants intend to
go about fulfilling the mandate governments set out in the TA.   We're not
going to get anywhere with a proposal to publicly dissect the forces that
turned this www.intgovforum.org/mandate.htm into a UN-related INET.  Simply
asking for clarification as to whether there's any commitment to implement
the agreement (and if so how) and a mandate for inter-conference WGs/dynamic
coalitions would be enough to seed the clouds. And since the caucus endorsed
the mandate previously, this presumably would not be a divisive or laborious
effort.

Parminder's questions hit the key points that have been raised but arguably
are a bit longer (two pages) and more analytical than is desirable in a
floor intervention; if we can prune a little and figure out how to determine
rough consensus in the next couple of days, that'd be great.

> If it were up to me, I'd offer space in these rooms to any workshop
> organizer (there will be about 30 separate workshops in all.)  They'd
> have a few tables and chairs set apart from others in the room so
> people who were interested in their workshop could drop by and chat
> about next steps.  We need to start thinking of ways to use Athens to
> spark an ongoing dialogue.  This is the best I can come up with.

A BOF/dynamic coalition space would be good, except that I wouldn't
necessarily limit this to topics covered in Athens workshops.  People might
want to launch groupings on other topics as well, e.g. implementation of the
WSIS principles, fulfilling the IGF mandate, whatever.  Maybe people could
propose topics, Nitin could list from the podium so everyone knows the menu,
and then people gravitate to whichever is of interest?

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org