[governance] national vs international (was Re: Program for IGC at IGF)

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Oct 23 05:24:44 EDT 2006

Hi George,

> From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net>

> What I do disagree with is Avri's assertion that it is ONLY on the
> international stage that Internet issues can be dealt with.  I do not
> disagree with the implication that there do exist issues that require
> international attention.
>
> Just trying to restore a sense of balance to the discussion ...

It might be that there's some talking past each other going on here, so
please help me understand the thinking that started this thread: In what
sense did you think that the discussion here has been unbalanced? It sounds
like you thought that there's been a collective predilection to deny the
existence and importance of national policies and to assert that literally
all issues require international agreements.  But in the cases you've
expressed particular concern about, like censorship or national regulations
and market structures affecting local access, there's been intermittent
discussion over several years in which some of us have noted that there are
no internationally applied rules per se and hence these issues are not
currently the subject IG mechanisms as defined and negotiated in the WSIS
and follow-up processes (although others have said there should be such
mechanisms, which is a different argument).   Avri's response came later,
and I'm not clear whether she was saying everything requires actual
international agreements or just international dialogue; the latter can of
course be useful even in the case of issues that are primarily addressed
nationally, e.g. in promoting collective learning, best practices, policy
adjustments, etc.  So what exactly is the imbalance you thought needed
correction?

Thanks,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org