[governance] IGC's questions to the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sun Oct 22 20:25:50 EDT 2006

Sorry, I had digitally signed this again - I'll turn it off for good so
it doesn't continue to happen.

Parminder wrote:
>     * What exactly constitutes the IGF? Is it only an open space, where
>       everyone can come and express opinion? If so, how is this open
>       space different from any other open space where free discussion
>       can take place?  What is the special UN character and legitimacy
>       of the IGF? How is it (to be) expressed in practice? (This brings
>       us to the earlier question – how is it different from any other
>       discursive space, and if different, how is this ‘difference’ to be
>       expressed in practice?)

Maybe "What is the special UN character" could instead be turned into a
leading question, "Is it the open, multi-stakeholder composition of the
IGF that gives it its special character and legitimacy?"

I think all of the other questions are quite excellent, thank you
Parminder.  As to how best to put this before the IGF, I'm not sure
unless it is as the output of a workshop.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org