[governance] Transparency (was Re: Program for IGC at IGF)

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat Oct 21 06:18:46 EDT 2006

Sorry, I forgot not to digitally sign this so it would have come up
blank.  Resending.

Norbert Bollow wrote:
> I think that the way forward with respect to achieving good
> standards of transparency and accountability in internet
> governance is to create a small "light-weight" internet
> governance organization which should be in charge of only a
> small number of tasks (tasks which are not currently really
> worked on by any existing organization, and which are easier
> than organizing an Internet Governance Forum), and set up all
> processes of this new organization in exemplary ways to show
> how accountable transparent multistakeholder processes can
> be properly organized, and to learn what resources are
> needed for that.

Another one?  It's been hard enough to get the first one where it is,
hasn't it?  Though, I do agree that a more light-weight organisation is
required, which is why I have said that having an open multi-stakeholder
Nominations Committee determine the composition of the Advisory Council
would allow it to be reduced in size, because its legitimacy would not
be derived from a claim to be representative on its own account, but
rather from the consensus of all stakeholders.

> Already in the Consultations in Geneva in February there was
> very little insistence on the importance of transparency.  As
> long as requests and demands for transparency are not greatly
> increased, genuine transparency cannot plausibly be expected
> to be provided, except if we who care about transparency work
> together to create a little internet governance organization
> which does whatever it does in a genuinely transparent manner.

Let's greatly increase those requests and demands, then.  I've just
submitted a five-minute video presentation in which I make my own call
for the IGF to evolve more accountable and transparent structures and
processes before Rio.  How many others would like to join me?  Of course
it's a difficult ask, but how much more difficult would it be to create
yet another organisation that would have the same buy-in from
stakeholders as the IGF?

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org