[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Fri Oct 20 11:51:34 EDT 2006

All,

I welcome McTim's response; it goes right to the heart of the matter.
In my view, it highlights one of the unspoken and politically
incorrect truths of the entire WSIS process, i.e. that many (the
great majority in my opinion) of the issues under discussion with
respect to the Internet are national and sub-national issues, not
international issues.  Raising them in an international context may
allow governments to superficially abdicate their responsibility for
dealing effectively with these issues at home.  It could, however,
have the beneficial effect of putting a spotlight on the issues, but
this will only help if the responsibility for solving them is placed
directly and explicitly on national governments, not on any
international community.

The ISOC and GIPI Access workshop, starting first thing Tuesday
morning, will try to separate these issues with respect to access.
My own organization, GIPI (www.internetpolicy.net) has been active in
about 20 countries trying to influence national legislation and
regulation in favor of the increased availability, access, and
affordability of the Internet, and yes, with an emphasis upon
consumer protection and confidentiality of information.  Let me tell
you that it is difficult work, requiring full time resources on a
continued basis.   Governments, especially those in non-democratic
countries, to give up control.  that is where the battles must occur.

If you want to do something about non-transparency, let's start by
working on the most blatant examples of it: governments such as North
Korea, Myanmar and Kazakhstan, and quite a few more, not on
institutions that are trying, even if only tangentially, to do
something positive with respect to them.

There clearly are issues that are international in scope that that
are good candidates for intelligent discussion in international fora.
It remains to be seen how much of that will occur at the IGF.

Let's also stop accepting revisionist history as anything but an
admission of ignorance or unwillingness to accept the truth.  Good
examples of this are contained in the recent Linguistic Diversity
workshop outline.  As Stephane Bortzmeyer points out, and as those of
us who have worked in ICT for quite a few years know, linguistic
diversity has been an issue of active concern since at least the
1970's.  If workshops and other discussions are not based upon an
accurate understanding of history and an accurate assessment of the
nature of the problem and ongoing efforts to solve it, then their
proceedings and conclusions will be ignored, and correctly so, as a
silly waste of time by people who don't know any better.

George Sadowsky

     governance at lists.cpsr.org