[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Oct 20 10:46:29 EDT 2006

Jeremy Malcolm ha scritto:
> Yet nobody else seems to be concerned, or am I wrong?

Jeremy, I am as concerned as you about a number of possible shortcomings
of the Forum. The forum was conceived by some of us (I remember the
discussions in the WGIG, and the effort I put to frame certain sentences
of its mandate that now are being ignored) to be a place where every
person, no matter how "small" (even individuals), could have a venue in
which any issue of importance could be raised, and he/she could get
answers on where and how to get it addressed, or even try to spawn a
multistakeholder working group on it.

Apparently (and I might be utterly wrong), what is going to happen in
Athens is that we are going to fly there to sit for four days as an
"audience" to watch some journalists interviewing random experts on the
matter. I could watch that on TV, there's no need for the UN to organize
yet another talk shop! And I'll try to talk about this in Athens,
assuming that I ever get a chance to speak in the appropriate session.

However, the last thing I'd do is to blame other civil society people,
or to use this as an argument in the everlasting "engineers versus the
United Nations" feud. There clearly is a problem of expectations, a
problem of funding and resources, and also a problem of size: perhaps it
is conceptually wrong to call everyone in the same place to address all
conceivable problems with the Internet, if the result is that many
people are not going to have an opportunity to speak, because of sheer
numbers.

This is the first edition, perhaps it's going astray from what it was
intended to be, or perhaps it is me who had such a different concept in
mind; in any case, the final judgement will only happen after it ends.
But I think that the right thing to do is to discuss and put forward
constructive proposals on how to make it better for civil society next
time, and how to make good use of the positive opportunities that are
already there this time.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org