[governance] Main sessions @ IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed Oct 18 08:25:02 EDT 2006

Ralf Bendrath wrote:
> 2. "Dynamic coalitions" emerging from Athens: Is there any planned
> mechanism for moving the discussions into this direction? It is one of
> the most important aspects of the IGF that can make it different from
> other conferences and ensure it becomes a process, not just an annual
> chatter.

For one thing, they should be formal working groups, arising out of
successful workshops, rather than being dynamic coalitions, which would
be less transparent and accountable and more prone to become
oligopolistic.  They should apply for recognition to the MAG and this
should be ratified by the IGF meeting, and their output should also be
formally tabled to the IGF in plenary and ratified.  I have some notes
on this, which I'm going to stand up at some point and talk about.

It is premature for these matters to be set in stone before the meeting
even starts though!  There are IMHO real problems with the process by
which the MAG was appointed and has been operating, and it will be up to
the meeting to remedy this.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org