[governance] [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Newsletter, Vol 1.04

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Oct 13 11:26:37 EDT 2006

IGP Info ha scritto:
>  [5] DOES SHE KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T? EU COMMISSIONER RESPONDS TO
> NEW JPA
>

> EU Commissioner for Information Society and Media Viviane Redding
> welcomed the "US government's declared intention to grant more
> autonomy to ICANN and to end its governmental oversight." We must
> have missed that part of the agreement: as far as we can tell the new
> JPA does not introduce any guarantee that the relationship will end
> in 2009. <
> http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/1297&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

On this point, after having spent a couple of days in Rome with various
people, I have the strong feeling that this statement is pure wishful
thinking. In other words, they know perfectly that there is no guarantee
that the formal connection between the USG and ICANN will end in 2009,
but they thought that they could send a message and put some pressure to
that end by acting "as if".

I can also tell you that AFAIK the European officers who work on privacy
are totally unhappy about the Whois provision of the JPA. Totally. The
point is, what can they do about it. Don't say that the king is naked...
     governance at lists.cpsr.org