[governance] Effective participation ....

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 12 07:51:38 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

We always seem to take the 'effective participation' issues from a 'dominant
standpoint' - "we know it - others need to learn to engage". And so
observations like

Despite this, there is

> years of

> capacity building to do to bring most of these folk to the

> level of

> discussions on this list or "in this space".

Capacity building issues cannot be denied. But I think that an equally if
not more important issue concerning increased participation is that we
continue to speak of Internet Governance in somewhat exclusionary terms that
we are most comfortable with.

Internet is itself on a strong evolutionary curve - from basically a
technical protocols based technical infrastructure, to a global information
infrastructure, to a social relationship infrastructure - with different
evolving logics and socio-political underpinnings and significance. Google's
search logarithms may have become more important protocols that IDNs, but we
still like to stick to speaking about IG in highly technical terms, to know
which is really not that important to understand the public policy
implications in IG. And "this space" as also IGF is primarily about pulbic
policy implication of IG.

So while others whose participation we seek may have much to learn about -
we ourselves of "this space" may have to learn a lot. IG issues need to be
interpreted in terms of the needs, context and idiom of the majority of the
people (at first, at least of the organized interest groups). And we know
that it impacts all - so why aren't we able to show them how it impacts
them. They will certainly be interested, and will participate as well..

There is a lot of technical expertise needed to set up ISPs, internet
exchanges, and other infrastructural elements, but the Internet is lot more.
And we, as the front-end CS on IG issues need to interpret old and emerging
IG issues to other CS constituencies, and make them interested. From all
developing (and developed) countries enough high quality discourses emerge
on issues like globalization, IPR etc - IG and Internet policy issues aren't
much more 'difficult' than these. Yes, it is a fast changing terrain which
makes its comprehension somewhat difficult - and to address this problem we
in IGC need to be more pro-active in orienting IG issues more towards
people's real needs and context, rather than making them more 'technical'.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890