[governance] IGC-charter_final-draft.html posted

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 7 11:17:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

The charter reflecting the choices made during the vote can be found at:
     http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-draft.html
The draft, ass it was during the vote, can still be found at:
     http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_proposed.html

As I mentioned, during the process of voting, I received some
comments about spelling and grammatical errors as well as some
stylistic and substantive comments.  I think that for some people it
was probably one of the few times they actually read the text
carefully.  While I was somewhat apprehensive about making any
changes once the vote was complete, I decided that fixing a few
grammatical and spelling errors might not be a problem.
I tried to only make changes that cleaned the text up and avoided any
change which i thought was risked changing substantive content in any
way.  I also avoided the stylistic suggestions for several reasons:
  - anything but the simplest grammatical change can change subtle
meanings.  I did not want to risk that sort of change.
  - i did not think it appropriate to start a wholesale rewrite
without going into the  ammendment process
  - i do not wish to start an amendment process at this time.
Sometime after we have lived with this charter for a while, we will
definitlely want to change things. At that point we can go though a
stylistic edit if that is what the IGC as a whole  wishes to do.

As i indicated, while I was willing to clean up the document, the
draft that was voted on is the IGC approved draft.  So if _any_ voter
objects to a changes i made, i will return to the workindg in the
original version.  As I mentioned above, I do not think we should get
into an editing session at this point and I do believe that while the
changes are ok to make, it is preferable to return to possible errors
then it is to go through any word-smithing exercise.  I know that I
do not have time at this point to get into extensive editing or
revoting.

There is one exception from the above, I appended a statement to the
end of the charter indicating the date and conditions under which the
charter was accepted.

To those who voted, please check the final draft and comment with any
objections.  If there are no unresolved objections from those who
voted in a week (by Oct 14th) then I will post the charter as
accepted and no longer draft.

thanks

a.

note: i am traveling later toady and may not respond to messages
quickly over the next few days.

------------------

Changes made:

0. I made one systematic changes throughout the entire document:

- Whenever a number was used, e.g. 1, I replaced it with - one (1)

1. in Mission:

< changed from:
  and representation of civil society contributions in Internet
governance processes.

 > to:
  and for representation of civil society contributions in Internet
governance processes.

--reason: grammar: parallel construction

2. in Mission

< From:
  of Civil society

 > to:
  of Civil Society (CS)

--reason:  inconsistent capitalization Society and and added (CS) so
that CS alone could stand without needing to be expanded the rest of
the way through the document.

3. in Objectives and Tasks

< from: online

 > to: on line

--reason: correct misspelling

4. in Organizational Roles

< from: serving in a role for one

 > to: serving in that role for one

--reason: grammar, ambiguous reference

5. in Recall

< from:
  The recall vote itself requires a 2/3 majority to succeed.

 > to:
  The recall vote itself requires a 2/3 majority of voters to succeed.

--reason: grammar: missing reference

6. in Appeals Team

< from:
The appeals board will be selected yearly by

option 1: a randomly selected nominating committee as defined in
http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html.

option 2: a voting process

[Note: this is being resolved in a separate vote]

 > to:
The appeals board will be selected yearly by a randomly selected
nominating committee as defined in http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-
process.html.

--reason: result of vote

7. in Working Methods

< from:

  No Personal insults
  No Spam

 > to:

  No personal insults
  No spam

--reason: incorrect capitalization

8. in Working Methods

< From:
  All nominations to external bodies, e.g. the IGF multistakholder
advisory group,
  Option 1: will be made using a randomly selected nomcom process as
defined in
  http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html.
  Option 2: according to the voting process.
  [Note: this is being resolved in a separate vote]

 > to:

  All nominations to external bodies, e.g., the IGF multistakholder
advisory group, will be made using a randomly selected nomcom process
as defined in http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html.

--reason: results of vote

9: in Statements and representation at meetings

< from:
  In this case

 > to:
  In these cases

--reason: grammar - plural referent

10: in Statements and representation at meetings
     (several cases of this change)

< from:
   face to face
 > to:
  face-to-face

--reason: grammar (i never really did understand when you use hyphens
and when you don't)

11: in Ad hoc sub-groups

< from:
   Working Groups

 > to:
    sub-groups

--reason:  consistent wording, this was the only use of working
groups in a section about sub-groups

12: in Voting Process

< from:
A list of the self-defined member-voters will be published after the
election with the results of the election, though all votes will
remain secret.

 > to:
A list of the self-defined member-voters will be published after the
election with the results of the election.

--reason: consistent with results of the vote

13: in Voting Process

< from:
  Option 1: All voting will be by secret ballot with the exception
noted above for release of voters names.
  Option 2: All voting will be open, though at the discretion of the
coordinators, with or without a specific request from member(s), any
vote can be made into a secret vote. The reasons for making it a
secret vote will be stated, and are subject to appeal.
  [Note: this is being resolved in a separate vote]

 > to:
  All voting will be open, though at the discretion of the
coordinators, with or without a specific request from member(s), any
vote can be made into a secret vote. The reasons for making it a
secret vote will be stated, and are subject to appeal.

--reason: results of vote

14: Acceptance of the Charter

 > Added:

  This charter was approved in a two (2) week vote ending on 2
October 2006. Sixty-three (63) voters participated in the vote,
giving the charter a 95% approval. Details on the vote can be found
at: http://www.igcaucus.org/charter-vote-061002.html

--Reason:  seemed like it belonged in the document.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org