[governance] IGC - where to go and how to get there

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Oct 6 08:20:59 EDT 2006

At 01:48 PM 06.10.2006 '?.'  +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>No political activism ever will work without enthusiasm and
>volunteers - even when you have a NGO (take as an example our ISOC
>chapters) you barely manage to collect funding to pay for costs and
>direct expenses, you almost never get enough to hire professionals.

Actually I can take as an example different ISOC chapters, and there
are different results. See ISOC-Netherland for example from the West,
or ISOC-Bulgaria from the countries in transition.

>Bigger NGOs might be a different story, but then, what you are
>proposing is in fact to start a new global "internet governance NGO", right?

No. What we may try to do is bring more and new people. How - doesn't matter.

>In my opinion, lobbying for institutions to put money on funding
>people's attendance to meeting is a great idea (BTW, while you're
>still on ICANN's Board, perhaps you could propose something like
>that to ICANN; we tried to do it on our own, irregularly and very
>limitedly, with the money we have for the ALAC). On the other hand,
>turning the IGC into something that directly collects and allocates
>money is IMHO a very bad idea.

I will definitely try to do something like that. Keep in mind,
though, that ICANN budget is open, public, and you can see on your
own if it has enough money. I think ISOC is a better organization to
be addressed with this. It has a lot of money, coming from .org, and
it should be used for such purposes.

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com