[governance] Fwd: [gnso-dow123] Note from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause in the Affirmation

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Oct 5 16:16:56 EDT 2006

At 01:10 PM 05.10.2006 '?.'  -0700, Danny Younger wrote:
>Veni,
>
>Some of us have been dealing with WHOIS policy issues
>for many years.

Why I am not surprised that you use this line? I've sent you a
separate mail 5 minutes before you wrote it - you might have received
it by now...

>Wouldn't you agree that it is not fair for ICANN to
>expect volunteers to devote countless man-hours to
>policy formulation on WHOIS while under a cloud of
>doubt?

Danny, I guess I have to repeat again - I can't speak on behalf of
ICANN. When you ask me if I'd agree or not on something for ICANN,
you will never get a response. Hope this is clear now?

>If you believe that ICANN's WHOIS policy can indeed be
>changed during the term of the JPA, is it too much to
>ask the DOC and your fellow Board members jointly to
>confirm this point?

I don't see a reason to confirm something which is there already. I
don't doubt it. But then, in the USA they put signs on the coffees in
McDonalds "hot coffee", after that lady sued the company and got some
money for there was no such warning on the cup. So, I understand why
you want explanations on every line. Perhaps the 2-page JPA would
look then like a 20-page annex :-)

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com